The strange numbers of the internet
by Gaëtan L. Charlebois
- We have had 100,000 Unique Visitors (the number of unique computers the cookie was dropped into)
- Those UVs have aimed at this site 165,000 times (meaning each computer visited 1.65 times)
- The total number of pageviews from the aforementioned 100,000 is 269,000
- Our Unique Viewers, based on the last six months, averages 7000 per month (with that number higher during summer, lower at Christmas). That's the number of computers that visited our site each month.
- We've averaged about 9,000 Visits per month. (That's the number of times those computers visited the site over the month)
- 54% men, 46% women
- 60% under 35, 40% over 35
- 6000 came from Canada, 600 from the US, 100 from the UK
- Top 10 cities where we were read - in order of readership size, largest to lowest - Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Victoria, Winnipeg, New York, Calgary, Cambridge (MASS), Mississauga. (But we particularly like our three readers in Gothenburg, Sweden. Hej, Killen!*)
- And, an odd one, 5.4% of our readers also like sports (Google is omniscient...)
I know I've probably overwhelmed you but one goal here is that the next time you read or hear about internet numbers, that it's way more complicated (and fascinating) than just a number.