Friday, February 21, 2014

A Fly On The Wall, February 21, 2014

Spring is Coming
Jim Murchison 
@JimMurchison

I have always lived in Canada. I have seldom gone anywhere for a retreat to the heat during the long nights of winter. The days are getting longer now though and our winter discontent will melt away in March ... or April... well definitely by May and be replaced by the awakening green and blossoming festivals.


The theatre seasons will end to be replaced by Fringe and open air park theatre. It's very good for me that theatre slows a bit after the Fringe in Ottawa. As much as the Fringe Festival is great fun to cover and there are some wonderful gems to discover; for a critic crew of only a few writers it is like running a marathon. Being able to see theatre performed outdoors is also great, because in the summer I personally feel a need to spend as much time outdoors as I can, like  a marine iguana that soaks up heat so that it can survive when it plunges itself back deep into the cool waters holding its breath during the long dive.


Now I am not one of those Canadians that constantly bitches about weather. I actually enjoy the seasons and a little chill is a small price to pay for a tsunami free environment, but after four or five months of cold and snow I am ready for a change. It won't be long now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Please read our guidelines for posting comments.