Wednesday, July 3, 2013

In a Word... Zachary Kornblum on Fuck Shakespeare (Toronto Fringe)



Shakespearian Vixens
by Gaëtan L. Charlebois

Zachary Kornblum has always had a passion for writing and recently finished his first novel manuscript.  He is also working towards a combined business and law degree at Osgoode Hall Law School and the Schulich School of Business.

CHARPO:  Tell us about the genesis of the ideas of the play.

KORNBLUM: At its core, the play is really about life and how we make our way in the world.  The central character Jamie (Kevin Leask) is depressed; he’s trying to figure out what’s important to him, love, work, friendship, etc...  So, as a single 24 year old trying to figure out my own life path, obviously, it was a radical stretch of imagination to try to figure out what that could possibly feel like.

I remember when I first had the idea for the Shakespearian vixens.  I was walking down the hallway during exams, and I just randomly had this image of a bunch of the Shakespearian woman getting together and forming a cabal to get revenge against men for destroying them.  It was actually a musical number – something between “Cell Block Tango” and a Disney villain song.  One day I would love to make a musical.

Anyways, I had a bunch of ideas.  I threw in one of my favourite myths (a Japanese myth about a goddess who only gets to see her love one day a year).  Stirred it all together.  Let it sit for a couple months.  And then it was done.  And by done I mean just started.

the play draws on Japanese mythology, pop culture, and even features a cartoon princess

CHARPO:  Without getting too academic how do you explain the ongoing fascination with Shakespeare, especially, now (ie: Joss Whedon)?

KORNBLUM: I think one of the great things about Shakespeare is that you can always find relevance in his work.  It digs down to some of those fundamental human questions about life and love and being people.  Our world is changing faster than ever before, but, at the end of the day we’re still people who love and lust and fuck and fight and we’re all just trying to make sense of it all. 

His plays also have amazing characters.  There was one point at which I described “Fuck Shakespeare” as “Shakespearian fan fiction”, but there is a lot more to it than that.  The women of Shakespeare set out to destroy all of the great love stories; and so the play draws on Japanese mythology, pop culture, and even features a cartoon princess.  Depending on your interests, you’ll probably pick up on different references, but you can walk into this play never having read any Shakespeare and still have a good time!

As an aside, you also mentioned Joss Whedon in your question, and I adore his work (I started watching Buffy when I was nine years old and never looked back).  The play uses comedy and supernatural elements to explore deeper themes in a very Joss Whedon/Neil Gaiman type way.

CHARPO:  You have made the (wise) decision not to direct your own play (a plague at Fringes especially). Where did that wisdom come from?

KORNBLUM: I think theatre is, by nature a collaborative form.  Unless you’re putting on a one man show, you need to work with other people.  And, by working together, you give the show more depth and complexity.  That being said, it is scary letting someone else have control over your work.  I can understand why people would be reluctant to do so.  I am really lucky to be able to work with two people who I trust; Jennifer Duffy (Director) and Amelia Bērziņš (Costume Designer).  Jennifer has been professionally trained and has experience acting. Amelia has worked on shows across the province (including the Stratford Shakespeare Festival, Tarragon Theatre, Driftwood Theatre, Toronto Dance Theatre, Video Cabaret, and Blythe Festival).  One of our goals has been to create a professional quality production (as much as possible).  We’re not Mirvish yet, but we’re putting on a far better show than I could have alone.  Together, we have a broader perspective, more skills, and more experience.  I have every respect for people who write and direct their own work, but I couldn’t do it (at least not yet).

I feel like I’m diving into the middle of the Ocean.

CHARPO: Tell us what your experience with Fringe is and whether you feel like you're diving into the deep end?

KORNBLUM: Forget about the deep end of the pool, I feel like I’m diving into the middle of the Ocean.  And that’s what’s great about Fringe.  You really get to get out there.  Our show is going to be at Factory in their main space.  I was there last week, and I remember thinking, “Wow, this is real.”  It’s a big stage, but it’s perfect for us because we have a big show.

Our show has a lot of moving parts.  It’s a complicated show with an ensemble cast and beautiful costumes.  There is a lot that needs to be coordinated – auditions, booking space, organizing rehearsals, editing the script, making sure everything is on track and on budget, coordinating advertisements, taking photos, contacting press, finding a printer, and so many other things.  It’s been terrifying, exhilarating, and a ton of fun.

We have a really great group of people.  I’ve already told you about Jenn and Amelia who are awesome.  We also have a great cast.  Kevin Leask, James Aaron, Chris Vergara, Ariana Leask, Adrian Beattie, Kristen Zaza, Laura Harding, and Rebecca Lindner (in order of appearance by habit alone).  They’re all so amazing and professional.  They’ve put so much into bringing the characters to life.  And they’re all really great people – it’s been so much fun working with them.

The people at the Toronto Fringe have also been amazing.  They’re nice and helpful and they really support all of the shows.  In so many ways, our show wouldn’t be possible without them.

I think our show has come together well.  I’m so excited.  I just hope that lots of people come out to see it.  I think it’s a really fun ride.

@gcharlebois
CHARPO: Now your pitch. Why should I go?

KORNBLUM: The women are fierce.  The costumes are gorgeous.  It draws on some of the most epic stories of all time.  And it’s laugh out loud hilarious.  Who doesn’t find a drunken Aladin at least a little amusing?   It’ll make you laugh.  It probably won’t make you cry, but it might make you think. 

Underneath it all, it’s actually a pretty nice story about friendship, love, and living our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Please read our guidelines for posting comments.