Friday, March 29, 2013

A Fly On The Wall, March 29, 2013

Healthy Doubt
by Jim Murchison 
@JimMurchison

I believe that a little doubt is a good thing. Without it you would never feel challenged or improve. René Descartes believed that doubt was what proved our existence when he developed the philosophy "I think therefore I am."

There is a major difference between healthy doubt that causes you to take extra care in attending to details and the all consuming doubt of your ability or the abilities of the people around you that induces paranoia.


In total, I believe five members of the cast have been or are artistic directors of their own companies

I have no doubt in the director or the cast of Bear and Company. Whenever I find myself questioning whether an idea or phrase that a character is expressing will be understood by the audience, I think of a modern reference or a physical gesture that will help translate it to the audience members less familiar with the Shakespearean tongue. It is our job as a company to make things relatable, not the audience’s job to study the play before they get there, although many will have.

Scott Florence who plays Petruchio has dedicated a large part of his career towards making Shakespeare accessible through his work with Company of Fools. In total, I believe five members of the cast have been or are artistic directors of their own companies; that is if you count my brief stint with the Enterprise Theatre Troupe in Dollard des Ormeaux. I believe and trust that there is a common framework and understanding that we are all relying on that will make the production mesh.

The other odd dynamic is that I am the oldest member of the acting company, yet the one with the least recent experience. I am confident that I still have it, but I have a healthy measure of doubt so that I am not taking anything for granted. Stay tuned. Next week rehearsals start in full force.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Please read our guidelines for posting comments.