Monday, June 10, 2013

The Question, June 10, 2013


Q is Me!
by Estelle Rosen

Qurrat Ann Kadwani is an actress, producer, emcee, TV Host and philanthropist. She has most recently won the Best Actress Award at the Variations Theatre Group: Harvest Festival in NYC and the Best Play Award at the Maui Fringe Festival in Hawaii for her solo play, "They Call Me Q!" She is the founding Artistic Director of eyeBLINK (www.eyeblink.org) and the head of the Theatre department. She is a graduate of The Bronx High School of Science and a theatre graduate of SUNY Geneseo with a double scholarship for her directing and acting contributions. She has hosted Desi Jams and 100% Desi on Namaste America. She has appeared on stage, TV, film, print campaigns, industrials, and commercials and emceed events for non profit organizations and charities. She also coordinates an annual philanthropic project "A Slice of Hope" (www.asliceofhope.org).

CHARPO: Who is Q and the 13 characters you portray?

KADWANI: Q is me! My solo play is autobiographical in a way so I thought it would be great for me to incorporate the nickname people have for me.  My name Qurrat always gets mispronounced and I've become just "Q".  I've owned it now - It's mysterious, sexy, adventurous!
 
As an ethnic female who immigrated to America with my family, I have come across many challenges in developing and understanding my identity.

Seriously, through the main character Q in my play, I hope to show that people can relate to the ups and downs I've had in my life; to the cultural and societal struggles; and most importantly, to the idea that we are all the same, no matter what ethnicity, background or upbringing. We can make our own opportunities and dreams come true! 

The 13 characters I play range from various Indian women to my parents to my classmates and friends who are White, Hispanic and Black.

@estellemontreal
Growing up in the Bronx, I had experiences with many diverse people. I have written characters based on real people who inspired me; who stayed with me in my journey to understand who I am and who have helped me to become the person I am today. 

As an ethnic female who immigrated to America with my family, I have come across many challenges in developing and understanding my identity. I wanted to address the immigrant experience of the person who has grown up in America, who is caught in the middle of the American and the home culture, and who tries so hard to make sure that both cultures have a voice. I wanted to address the universal question: What happens when you don’t fit in either culture?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Please read our guidelines for posting comments.